My photo
Wellington, New Zealand
welcome to my corner of the blog world! i love step, boxing, zumba, scrapbooking, photography, watching movies, walking the hills of my suburb, my family, and life in wellington. take some time to have a look around and be sure to say hi!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

photostory friday and the belated birthday party

miss 12 observes her birthday each year whilst we are camping

because we have always camped in a big group, we've thrown a birthday party camping styles and she's had a pretty good time!

she does however, miss having her CURRENT CLASSMATES at her birthday party

this happened to miss 20 when we lived in the states (her birthday is in august)
any child in north american who has a birthday from mid-june until august will understand!

this year we were camping on our own, so there was no birthday party
we even made her wait until lunchtime to open her presents
(we had taken shelter in a nearby restaurant from the RAIN!)


...so i decided to throw her a birthday party
we finally settled on the 2nd weekend in march

here be the cake - a whole tray of cupcakes-cake if you will...

arty shot of said cake/cupcakes
(taken with my portrait lens - of course!)
and the maker/designer/person of said cupcakes/cake

 don't you just love a reaction to a birthday persent like this?
i should get so excited over erasers...
do you have SMIGGLE where you live? it's all the rage here


i do a pass the parcel with a diference
in each layer there's a mini chocolate bar with a question about the birthday girl attached
if you don't know the answer, someone else will, and it's a great way to get to know her better
everyone loves a happy birthday!

after everyone arrived and we did presents and pass the parcel, we drove 10 mins to play a couple of games of laser tag.

we were gone from the house no more than an hour so
i ENCOURAGED the girls to leave their cell phones behind

i only had to talk one girl down off the wall

when we got home, she had 55 text messages on her phone

FIFTY.  FIVE.  MESSAGES
i asked "are they all from the same person wondering why you didn't text back?"

no she replied, looking like i'd just asked the dummest question EVA!
her phone is like a 2nd skin.  NOT healthy.

ready for action!
blowing out the candles


happy birthday to my cupcake queen



PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Mamarazzi

10 comments:

cat said...

That was a great Birthday party for a teen! Love your cupcakes

auntiegwen said...

I know it's getting boring but would you just give in and ADOPT ME PLEASE xxxx (fifty feckin five in an hour!!!! jeesh)

Jaina said...

Sounds like a great party! Happy belated birthday Miss 12! Those cupcakes are beautiful.

Heather said...

Holy text messages! That is absolutely insane. I guess it would be more insane if the same person did that, cause that would make them totally obsessive! Happy birthday to your daughter :) And you are so creative. What is a Smiggle?

theUngourmet said...

I loved seeing your birthday photos! What a fun time! I've never tried Laser Tag. What is SMIGGLE?

Shirliana said...

Loved the update, love the new blog. I'm soooo dearly behind and still working on my own - Ugg! :) It was nice to take a rest on your site for a while!

Great party by the way! Take care. S.

Debbie said...

How fun! You are a cool mom:)

Anonymous said...

I would have said "no way" re. the phones but S. went to a "birthday party" on Friday and she reported that most of those present were on their phones texting others!!! I say HOW RUDE! Good on you for "encouraging" them to leave phones at home ... I think alittl;re basket (cute of course) at the door might be needed in future. Carmel aka anonymous 'cos on work computer!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

OMG! That is such a great I idea! I wish my mom had thought of that. My birthday is in August too! Looks like the girls had an amazing time.

And thanks so much for visiting me on my SITS day! I'm your newest follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon.

http://www.thewannabewahm.com

Cecily R said...

Okay...the cupcakes? ADORABLE. I think that's what I need to do for Evie's birthday in a few weeks. Yum AND cute.

That birthday reaction shot? LOVE. Best face ever!