My photo
Wellington, New Zealand
welcome to my corner of the blog world! i love step, boxing, zumba, scrapbooking, photography, watching movies, walking the hills of my suburb, my family, and life in wellington. take some time to have a look around and be sure to say hi!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

photostory friday and 'that day it snowed in wellington'




and KEPT on snowing!

i've lived in wellington since december 1983 and it's snowed ONLY ONCE

i remember this ONLY ONCE, because when we arrived back to nz after living in atlanta for a year and a half, miss 21 (who was 6 at the time), said "mum, does it ever snow in wellington?" (because we had experienced some extreme weather in hotlanta, ie snow where snow is a highly unusual occurrence) -

and i said "NO, it NEVER snows in wellington"

fast forward to august 14, 2011

miss 13 and i were at a learn to row meeting at their school when it started to snow

and MAN did it snow.

it was the most treacherous 1.9 MILE drive home of MY LIFE

it was not helped by the barrage of questions from miss 13

"does snow melt on the road"

"will school be on tomorrow?"

"do dogs like snow?"

...you get the idea...

at one point i just said 'please stop talking', and it was obviously in that serious 'mother tone' that means please stop talking.  actually.

me and my poor little 1.3cc car barely made it home

it simply gave up at the bottom of the drive


once home safely, there was nothing to do but photograph this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and simply enjoy the beauty of the situation









our driveway - before i completely destroyed it trying to ascend it in the car!


they be boobs, not stumpy arms
my daughters clearly have their mother's sense of humour!







Give me your best shot at Better in BulkPhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli


that first photo has made it to the TOP 10 in our local paper

you can vote for it here!


6 comments:

mandyb said...

wahooooooo great pics....love the one in the comp too!!!!
keep warm cos its still freeeeeeeezing out there!!! brrrr

Susan Holt Simpson said...

SO BEAUTIFUL! What fun - we do it every winter in ol' KY. Great photos - I voted for yours!

Latree said...

if only I had that ONE chance, I would do all those fun!

tiarastantrums said...

at least your girls finally get to play in the snow!!

My Captivating Life said...

That is a lot of snow! :)

CC said...

Need I remind you that is is AUGUST?? Ha ha! Just kidding. I know things are opposite on the opposite side of the world... :)