My photo
Wellington, New Zealand
welcome to my corner of the blog world! i love step, boxing, zumba, scrapbooking, photography, watching movies, walking the hills of my suburb, my family, and life in wellington. take some time to have a look around and be sure to say hi!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

wordful wednesday - a post for chris

when i posted on friday, chris commented that he needed a glossary every time he came to my blog!

so before i launch into a post CHOC-A-BLOCK full of kiwi slang, i'll let my north american readers take in this picture.
it was taken 3 days ago
this is what christmas is like where i live

this is a pohutukawa (po-hoo-2-ka-wa) tree
aka the new zealand christmas tree
they only bloom at christmastime, hence the name
and this is just for fun after i joined the facebook photoshop fan page
i learned how to turn a pic into a classic painting
so, back to the beach

because it was a sunny day, the FOOTPATHS were fit to busting full of PUNTERS heading for the beach where they were going to don their TOGS and FLIP FLOPS, JANDALS AND THONGS.

some may have brought BANGERS for lunch, others may have just brought tea and BISCUITS. some may have come empty-handed and will end up BLUDGING off others. either way, you don't need much in your CHILLY BIN, before BOB'S YOUR UNCLE, you've got yourself a CORKER little sunday afternoon picnic.

if you forgot to bring a rug, don't worry, you can always sit on the BONNET of your car while it's in the CAR PARK.

the last thing you need of course, is for someone to accidentally kick sand in your SAMMIES, coz that would really cause a BUN FIGHT and you might have to tell the offending foot to NAFF OFF. just make sure you have plenty of SERVIETTES to clean up the mess.

..and don't stay in the water too long and get cold, or you might end up with the DREADED LURGY and you'll have to PIKE out of the next fun night out

so now i'm HOME AND HOSED, go RATTLE YOUR DAGS and see angie @ seven clown circus for a TIKI TOUR of wordful wednesday

26 comments:

Keri said...

Hello there. Sure looks lovely where you are. Never heard of that fabulous tree. I sure do like your style. Sounds like you have a lot to celebrate this year. Lovely life. Have a great holiday and I'd love it if you came to my blog some time and flattered if you'd follow too. Happy, Happy, to you and yours. Keri (aka Sam) www.samwich365.com

Chris said...

Sue! A post of my very own for Christmas? And I didn't get you anything!

The pohutukawa tree is very cool. As I write this, here in Utah, we're in the middle of a snow storm, which will guarantee us a white Christmas, but before Bob's your uncle, I'll be jealous of your tropical holiday. (I probably butchered that, sorry).

Footpaths and flip flops I get, togs I have a good idea about -- and I only know what a serviette is because I once learned what a "napkin" was. :)

Here's a little advice to all the readers who follow me - before you read anything, go to the left column of Sue's blog, and click on her chick chat link. Then you can imagine her saying all these marvelous words in her beautiful, flip side of the world, kiwi accent.

Merry Christmas Sue, and try to stay out of the sun.

scrappysue said...

chris, chris, chris :)
i love it when ppl are on the other side of the world sitting at their comps (or balancing laptops on their knees) at the same time i am.

togs is a swimming costume and my CHICK CHAT is on my RIGHT side bar - are you blog dyslexic lol

...and don't worry, you didn't butcher bob too much. pretty damn close for a rookie.

kia kaha :)

KK said...

How funny, I sort of followed you! I love that tree!!

Keri said...

You are awesome!

Annie said...

So funny.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

Stopping from Seven Clown Circus.

Casey's trio said...

Ha Ha...barely understood a word you wrote but enjoyed the post!! Looks like great Christmas time weather:)

Muthering Heights said...

Ok, so I'm totally lost, but it looks like you live in a lovely place! :)

Upstatemamma said...

Cool tree!! And hysterical post. I loved it.

Unknown said...

What in the WORLD did you just say??? ;-)

Enjoy the beach!

Claremont First Ward said...

I think your pohutukawa aka Christmas tree is beautiful. I always forget that it's summer there. What months do your girls go to school?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Night Owl Mama said...

Awww to be where you are...I would be HOME!! I miss warm weather I'm Freezing my tushy off. NOT sure what all the talk was about but i think I get the just of it. LOL

love the painting very cool

Jenni said...

Say what? ;-P

FUN post...can I come over after Christmas dinner? I want to go to the BEACH!

Hootin Anni said...

LOL on the 'glossary' part. That tree is awesome!!!

I have a Christmas wish along with my usual Wednesday post today. [the Wednesday issue of posting is below my 'card' posted just for you....]

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

...for the permalink to my day's post, click here.

Teri said...

Uh. Uh.

No really, I was able to figure out most of the words. :-)

What I would give to hang on a beach like that during the week of Christmas. I am a beach baby all the way. Beautiful!

Shelley said...

Oh how I yearn for warm feet.

Debbie @ OtRD said...

I love it! I miss NZ and all the kiwi words people would say to me and leave me with a blank look on my face because I didn't know what they were talking about! My favorite is jandals because I wore them in Dec. and loved it.

Enjoy your warm weather! It hasn't been that cold in Nashville but we are still wearing winter coats!

Lianna Knight said...

That tree is ridiculously gorgeous!!!

You can see our WW here... http://growingourowngarden.blogspot.com/2009/12/wordless-wednesday.html

theUngourmet said...

I don't understand a word of it but I loved it! :D Hosed must be showered. I want to come live by you, it sounds like a lot more fun!

That tree is fabulous!

Susie said...

Very cool! Merry Christmas to you and yours:-)

Kat said...

Oh my! So beautiful! Now I know where I am moving when I get sick of all of this snow. ;)
I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Chris said...

Right! I meant right! (Maybe it's a hemispheric thing?)

Kia kaha = forever strong (or something similar?)

Queenie Jeannie said...

I got the cutest Christmas card and the most GORGEOUS EARRINGS in the mail today!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!

They are perfect and in my ears at this moment!!!! You are so sweet!! Thank you again!!

Merry Christmas and enjoy your warm, sunny days!!

Elizabeth said...

I want to know how to do that in Photoshop. Cool!

Honey Mommy said...

You are hilarious! I like what you did in photoshop to make that one looks like a painting! Pretty cool!

cat said...

We share quite a few of the slang words - maybe the british connection?